TL;DR The best WordPress plugin for adding share buttons right now is Sharedaddy and you can download this fork to have a Google +1 button.
Best sharing buttons for WordPress
The Sharedaddy plugin may very well become the standard for adding share/like buttons to self-hosted WordPress blogs. It’s authored by Automattic, the creators of WordPress, and offers the same functionality as what you’ll get on the blog host wordpress.com. It comes bundled with the indispensable Jetpack plugin. Its strong points are a drag-and-drop interface, a focus on only the most popular sharing services (other than Twitter and Facebook, who the hell actually uses all the share buttons you see on the web?), and importantly, click-tracking integration with WordPress.com Stats, which is another module of Jetpack.
I want Google to be my +1
The only short-term problem is that it currently doesn’t support the recent Google +1 button. Marco Newmann extended Sharedaddy to add it, so there’s no need to wait for the inevitable Sharedaddy update.
But Marco’s plugin doesn’t work quite right. So I modified his modifications to make the button work consistently with all the other services:
- I reverted to the “smart button” terminology instead of talking about “count”.
- All 3 major display styles (smart button, non-smart with text, non-smart without text) are supported, as much as feasible.
- The smart button is always medium-sized, and the non-smart button is always small-sized.
- In all display styles, the buttons and text are cropped and aligned properly, both within the WP Admin and on the rendered web page.
Get the goodsDownload my fork of a fork of Sharedaddy 0.2.12 at https://github.com/huyz/wp-sharedaddy.
- The Easiest Way to Embed a Java Applet in WordPress This new plugin java-applet-embed is the easiest way to embed a Java applet in a WordPress site....
- Footnotes anywhere in the content of a WordPress post or page Embed footnotes in a WordPress site anywhere in the content with this modified wp-footnotes plugin....