This new plugin java-applet-embed is the easiest way to embed a Java applet in a WordPress site.
The Death of the Java Applet and its Aborted Rebirth(s)
It’s a bit depressing when people ponder the comeback of the Java applet. Java in the browser is dead. That’s why this post makes absolutely no sense. I know you want to discuss HTML5. You won’t hurt my feelings if you google your way out of here.
WordPress — Applet Bully
This is like beating a dead horse: WordPress also does it best to nuke anything resembling an <applet> tag. Some have figured out that you can protect an applet by putting the <applet> and enclosed <param> tags all on a single line. But if you switch from the Visual to the HTML tab in the “Edit Post” page or if you update the post while on the wrong tab, the applet markup will still disappear. Not good.
Anthony Mattox has released a well-written plugin which solves the problem of embedding Processing applets. Surprisingly, no one has done the same for embedding any arbitrary Java applet. The markup and implementation would be almost identical.
Forking and converting his plugin was a matter of hours, and I submitted it to the wordpress.org plugin directory.
An alternative solution would have been to use a plugin such as TRUEedit, which allows you to enter anything in a post or page if you are an Admin (or in the case of multisite, a Network Admin). But this new Java applet plugin inherits a number of automatic features from the Processing applet plugin:
- It lets you upload JAR files into the WordPress media library, as with any image.
- It offers several loading modes, including one by which the visitor has to click before the JVM and applet are loaded. No use pissing off your visitors by forcing Java to start as soon as they happen onto your web page, right?
- It works for multiple types of browsers.
- Thanks to the integration of Oracle’s Deployment Toolkit, it can offer to download the Java Plug-in (this probably needs more testing) or update it if the required JVM version doesn’t match (this feature hasn’t yet been implemented but it easily could be, if there is demand.)
Get the Goods
If you’re willing to risk your viewers yelling at you for using dinosaur technology, then download this java-applet-embed plugin from the wordpress.org plugin directory or download/fork the latest development sources from github.com.
- Footnotes anywhere in the content of a WordPress post or page Embed footnotes in a WordPress site anywhere in the content with this modified wp-footnotes plugin....
- Google +1 button for WordPress plugin Sharedaddy The best WordPress plugin for adding share buttons right now is Sharedaddy and you can download this fork to have...