G+me is a Google Chrome browser extension that enhances the Google+ web app to make it much easier to process a large stream of incoming posts and comments and to unlock the potential of Google+’s real-time updates.
- Notification status visible at all times. You no longer have to scroll the page to the top and you don’t have to keep going back to the browser tab with Google+. You will always know when you get new notifications because the browser button is always visible with a badge.
- Collapsible comments. Thanks to a side bar always within view, it’s quick and easy to hide hundreds of comments from anywhere in the discussion.
- Collapsible posts. You can hide and unhide a post without muting it. This is great if you’re not really interested in seeing a post and all its comments right now, but you still want to get back to it at a later time. The downside of muting a post is that you will never see it again and you stop getting any notifications of responses to any comments you may have made on that post.
- Mark comments as read. Collapsing posts/comments automatically keeps track of the comments you’ve seen; the extension remembers.
- Real-time comment count on collapsed items. Whether you like to collapse comments or posts, you won’t miss any incoming comments. The extension shows you the total number of seen or unseen comments, updated live.
- List-mode option keeps at most one post displayed. Combined with real-time comments, this turns the stream into a dashboard: in one screenful you can see activity on many posts at once and jump back and forth between multiple active comment streams. This will greatly benefit those who follow popular people who post a lot and/or get a lot of comments.
- Mouse-over instant preview. In list mode, hover the mouse over a collapsed post to get a preview of the content at the side. The preview is fully functional.
- Keyboard shortcuts:
o : expand/collapse the selected post c : expand/collapse the comments of the selected post shift-c : expand the comments of the selected post or get "More" or "Older" comments (Press 1, 2, or 3 times); also expand truncated comments (when they say "Expand this comment »") u / i or shift-down / shift-up : expand the next item while collapsing the previous one (like j/k in Google Reader) n / p : just navigate down or up shift-i / shift-u : mark post as read / unread m / shift-m : mute/unmute the selected post (shift-m navigates up). WARNING: If another extension already uses the 'm' shortcut, you must disable the option or the extension; e.g. Replies and More provides an option to disable their 'm' shortcut. shift-o : expand/collapse truncated posts (when they say "Expand this post »") v: opens links in post body
Get the Goods
What about privacy, especially my "browsing history"?
You're safe. Read my comments about privacy.
The mouse-over preview doesn’t work
Right now, that’s only enabled in “list mode”.
How do I change to “list mode”?
Click on the green browser icon. (I will make this easier to access in a future release.)
This extension slows down Google+
This is most likely because of incompatibility with other extensions. Try disabling all other Google+ extensions. Let me know which extensions seem to interact badly with G+me.
This extension conflicts with other extension X
This extension is incompatible with +Comment Toggle. It is compatible with SGPlus (careful with performance issues), Surplus, Replies and more (you must turn off the ‘m’ key shortcut from its options), Extended Share, G+ Ultimate (except for "side-by-side view" & "status scrollbars"), Usability Boost, G+ Tweaks (except for "Fixed Navigation: All Navigation"), Share+ Social Buttons, Helper (except for notifications), Google Plus Reply+, Plus Minus, Adhik, Fav+.
Will this be ported to Firefox or other browsers?
Once I’ve implemented other features, I plan to port to Firefox. But this could take a couple of weeks. Other browsers are not in the plans.